Integrated Governance Activity (IGA)
The democratic system in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is still fragile, even after more than a decade since the country adopted a new constitution. The Integrated Governance Activity (IGA), is helping DRC to create a good governance framework and build the capacity of both government and civil society to improve delivery of key health, education and economic development services.
The IGA program builds on the successes of previous USAID programs in the DRC, such as the Good Governance Program, and supports new leaders to reform government services at the national, provincial, and local levels. The IGA team also trains civil society and private-sector groups to better advocate their needs to elected officials. Activities include: Train government entities and civil society groups to improve their administration and financial management.
IGA plans to do the following:
- Establish and train national and provincial Food Security and Nutrition Policy Analysis Units.
- Advise local governments on raising and managing local tax revenues.
- Establish platforms to improve citizen engagement and intra-governmental collaboration.
- Support provincial health divisions to participate in cross-sector coordination meetings, conduct participatory planning, and host annual public hearings.
Here are IGA's objectives:
Objective 1: Strengthen capacity of select government institutions to fulfill mandate;
Objective 2: Targeted subnational entities collaborate with citizens for more effective development; and
Objective 3: Citizen demand for accountable, transparent, participatory services increased.
As of now, IGA have accomplished the following outcomes:
- Conducting planning and participatory budgeting workshops in the ETDs
- PFM strengthening
- Collaboration with ACCELERE! 1 and 2 in holding workshops on school fees
- Opening offices in Kananga and Kolwezi
- NORC Evaluation
- Strengthening the oversight role of CODESAs, COPAs and CARGs.
- Preparing score card tools for use in health and education
- Extending project activities to Masina (Kinshasa).