A practical guide for improving quality of care through water, sanitation and hygiene in health care facilities
WASH FIT is a multistep, iterative process to facilitate improvements in WASH services, quality and experience of care. The specific purposes of using WASH FIT are:
- To provide a framework to develop, monitor and continuously implement an improvement plan and prioritize specific actions when resources are limited.
- To identify areas for quality improvement in facilities, including strengthening WASH and IPC policies and standards that will lead to lower infection rates, better health outcomes for patients and improved staff safety and morale.
- To facilitate the development of an enabling environment by bringing together all those who share responsibility for providing services, including legislators/policymakers, district health officers, hospital administrators, water engineers and community WASH and health groups.
- To improve the day-to-day management and operation of facilities, by systemizing the process of managing WASH services.
- To engage community members in advocating for and demanding better WASH services and in triggering positive changes in hygiene practices in households.