World Toilet Day 2019: Leaving No One Behind
World Toilet Day (WTD) is an annual global event organized by UN Water to raise awareness of the crucial role that sanitation plays in reducing disease and creating healthier communities. WTD falls every year on November 19. The WTD 2019 theme, "Leaving No One Behind," emphasizes the importance of expanding sanitation access to the more than 4.2 billion people living without safely managed sanitation options. For more information on this year's theme, check the official WTD site: www.worldtoiletday.info.
USAID’s Water and Development Plan reaffirms its commitment to help close the sanitation gap and provide 8 million people with sustainable access to sanitation services by 2022. USAID goes beyond toilet construction to address weak demand and low capacity for sanitation improvements. The Agency’s comprehensive approach includes engaging the private sector to develop aspirational and affordable products, unlocking financing, and strengthening sanitation governance coupled with behavior change to encourage use and maintenance.
Global Waters Feature Stories, Blogs, and Podcasts
- Averting a Cholera Epidemic in the Wake of Dual Natural Disasters
- Supporting Safe Sanitation and Preventing Gender-Based Violence in South Sudan
- How Improved Financing Enhances Water and Sanitation Service Delivery
- Facilitation Makes the Difference in Sanitation
- Customer Behavior in the Uganda Sanitation Marketplace
- Facilitating Relationships Between Private Service Providers and Commercial Banks in Senegal