Fararano is a five-year, USAID Food for Peace Development Food Assistance program whose goal is to reduce food insecurity in 48 communes in three of the most vulnerable regions in Madagascar: Atsinanana, Vatovavy, Fitovinany, and Atsimo Andrefana. The program provides an integrated package of nutrition, agriculture, disaster risk reduction, environment and gender-focused activities to reduce food insecurity in these target areas.
The program has seen that:
- Women and children have improved consumption of diverse and nutritious foods;
- Women and children (especially during the 1,000 days) utilize preventive and curative maternal and child health and nutrition services;
- Households practice optimal water management, hygiene, and sanitation behaviors;
- Increased diversified agriculture production;
- Increased on- and off-farm sales by households and producer organizations;
- Community-based disaster mitigation, preparedness, response systems and social safety net mechanisms meet national standards.